WOOD FLOOR OF THE YEAR RULES
- The contest is open to NWFA member companies in good standing, at no charge. Any non-NWFA member company may enter a floor for a registration fee of $150.
- Entrants may compete in as many categories as they choose; however, no project can be submitted in more than one category. A separate registration form is required for each entry.
- Each floor must meet all the criteria of the category in which it is entered, with the category for each entry marked clearly on the registration form. Each floor must be installed or restored at an actual job site. Floors installed or restored at instructional training events are not eligible for this contest.
- No previous Wood Floor of the Year entries may be submitted for any category.
- Only one company may enter a specific floor in the WFOY contest. If multiple companies are involved in the project, all should be identified on the registration form. Any non-NWFA member companies will be required to pay the registration fee.
- Anonymity of contestants is requested until the WFOY contest is closed. Publicizing a company’s entry identity for the purpose of gaining an advantage in the contest may result in disqualification. Following the close of contest, the entrants will be identified.
- Each entry must include a completed registration form and a final photo. A before photo or process photo is optional. Photos submitted must be high resolution images (1 MB size minimum). Mailed entry forms must include a high-resolution, digital file (1 MB size minimum) on USB drive. Photos that have been altered digitally, or have logos or watermarks will be disqualified. No entry materials will be returned.
- Project descriptions from the registration form must contain everything you would like the judges to know about your flooring project. Missing or inaccurate information will not be changed once the contest closes.
- Each floor entered into the WFOY contest must have been installed or restored, and completed, between January 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020.
- Each entry must be received at NWFA headquarters by 5:00 pm (Central Standard Time) on March 31, 2021. No extensions will be granted.
- All project submissions will be judged based on aesthetic value, quality workmanship, and technical challenge.
- Nine WFOY awards will be presented, one in each of the following categories: (1) Best in Color, Finish, and Textured Wood; (2) Best in Circular/Curved; (3) Best in Parquetry; (4) Best in Marquetry and Inlays; (5) Best in Historic Restoration; (6) Best Use of Technology; (7) Manufacturer Spotlight; (8) Members’ Choice; (9) Best Staircase
- Voting for the member’s choice category will occur online March 31 – April 15, 2021.
- Awards will be presented during the 2021 NWFA Expo. Winners will be notified in advance.
- Each winner will receive a WFOY trophy and will be featured in Hardwood Floors magazine. All other entries may be featured in Hardwood Floors Magazine, and on the NWFA website. Publicity will be distributed on behalf of each winner to trade press, and will be provided to each winner for use in their local media as well.
- Violation of any of these rules or misrepresentation of a product or company as the responsible principal producer, installer, or manufacturer shall be cause for disqualification from the contest.
- All entries, photographs and other materials used in this contest become the property of the NWFA for use in promoting wood flooring and the wood flooring industry. No entry materials will be returned.
- The NWFA reserves the right to reject any entry it deems to not be in compliance with these rules. The NWFA is the final authority on all decisions with regard to this contest.
For more information, please contact us.